Wednesday 30 January 2008

Malaysia Truly Asia (brrr...)







Okay, in Marketing we learn of Jingles that either reinforces a brand either positively or punitively. That ANNOYING "Malaysia Truly Asia..." jingle you hear on CNN all the time has gotten very annoying to me. Its a punishing reinforcement. On several occasions, when asked about my origins, I would normally say I am from Malaysia, and the response i get is either one of the following:


  • OH, Malaysia Truly Asia
  • Twin Towers!
  • Where is that? (Normally, I explain its the land mass between Thailand and Singapore, plus Borneo)
  • Malaysia Truly Asiaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • Oh, I want to go there (...not!)

Now, Malaysia is truly Asia, yes. The arguement being that you find most of the Asian cultures in One country. Yes, we also have Twin Towers, which i personally think is not a great significant branding image (perhaps our headhunters would be cool?). Malaysia needs to include maps (pointing out where Singapore and Thailand is as well) in the advertisements since people dont know where it is...The Jingle is annoying. Finally, since many people claim they want to visit (but i have a feeling less than half mean it), i feel some national responsibility to promote Malaysia more positively. SO....





  • Click HERE if you are Malaysian (or if you arent, but curious)...


  • Click HERE then HERE then HERE then HERE maybe HERE and finally, HERE if you are a foreigner (or if you are Malaysian, but curious)...


  • Click HERE to see a youtube video of where I am from. I think its a good representation, though the ending is SOOO cocky..and check out the scene at 1:36 minutes in! yep, thats dinghy sailing

Just for interest, click HERE . There is a scene where this Asian couple are embracing each other, looking out to the sea. I saw the recording of that sometime ago in Sutera Harbour.

And by now, you should be SICK of listening to "Malaysia Truly Asia", if not, its already drilled well into your head..

So Folks! Let me know what you think about the ads, my point of view or if you feel like visiting or not! Leave a comment!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ian the ads are cool and the "malaysia truly asia" ads i often saw in the tv.. hehe
but there are good made and interesting, but the background music i dont like so much..:S
it should be a mix with traditional music of all folks in malaysia or like that..
take care, your swiss-indonesian friend near from St.Gallen..;P

Anonymous said...

Hi!!! narcosistic.blogspot.com is one of the most excellent resourceful websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. I will be back.

Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon!!! narcosistic.blogspot.com is one of the most excellent resourceful websites of its kind. I enjoy reading it every day. All the best.

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

Anonymous said...

I didn't understand the concluding part of your article, could you please explain it more?